Friday 4 February 2011

ringing in my head

Yesterday was a day of contrasts. Started off with a good productive morning spent with some young people in care clearing some community land. Then I went to the cinema to continue on my Oscar nomination build up. This time Black Swan and I had high hopes. I'm sorry but I hated it. In fact it became only the second film I think I have ever walked out of. Actually I'm not sorry, I'm cross I wasted my time and my money. Although I suppose you pays your money and you takes your chance with these films. But being nominated for "Best" Film makes you think it has a certain standard to it. I saw a review in last week's Independent that gave it one star where every other review has given it four or five. I did wonder how they could be such a discrepancy between reviews but now I know.

Whilst at the cinema, my phone stopped working. Just went kaput. There was juice left in the tank but it gave up. This started to worry me because it feels like my whole world is stored in that phone. I know its backup on to my laptop but I don't actually know what that means or where I could find it. I have something like 500 notes on my phone which I would miss. As it is I lost my drafts tweets from my Twitter account last week and that feels awful enough. I came home and plugged in my phone. Nothing. Death. I felt sick. I went to bed. Got up and had a dreadful dinner. When I thought about the depth and texture of the stew I hand made on Wednesday night and compared it with the brown slop served up with no discernible flavour. I then returned to bed to watch my latest lovefilm delivery. It was cracked. I'm astonished that disc can be sent out in the condition. So now I have to deal with them. So I gave up and watched Speed. It hit the spot. Although I had never noticed Sandra Bullock was so irritating before now.

Having moaned about my inability to read a book these days, I then started to turn the pages of Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. A wonderful book. I raced through the first 30 pages. So my iPhone malfunction felt a little less terrible.

This morning, I plugged it in again, just to see and lo, the little red battery sign flashed up. It obviously just needed a little rest, poor thing. I'm not surprised though, I've been working it hard over the last few weeks. So, for at least today, I am resolved to tweet a little less and  not rush to it at any given moment for reassurance. I feel quiet and introspective today.

Today's link between ITV3 detective programmes: Jason Durr (formerly of Heartbeat) is in today's Morse and was in Wednesday night's Midsomer Murders. Small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment