Saturday 5 February 2011

6 nations of varying different attractions

It's that giddy time of the year when I miss living in Wales. Miss living in Cardiff a (giant's) stone's throw from the millennium stadium. There is something real and raw about being a welsh rugby supporter. And I loved it, lapped it up. My order of support for the 6 nations are: Scotland, Italy, Wales, France, Ireland. Despite being half English (although if you go far enough back, that is diluted, my family name is Scottish) and being born in England, I support them at few sports but least of all rugby. I feel rugby is a passionate sport you support with your heart and I am Scottish in my heart. I know the anthem, I wear the pin, I fake an accent when shouting at the television. And as an non Welsh living in Cardiff, the fact I didn't support the dreaded enemy meant I was alright by them. But the main reason I finally decided to stop even thinking about England as an option was the tenure of Clive Woodward and what he did to the sport. Particularly the joke that was the 2005 Lions tour. Taking Alastair Campbell along to handle media relations says it all about how much he had lost touch. Then losing the tour 3-0 made you think it wasn't worth it. Still the England RFU continued on in the same vein. Disposing of Ashton in a cowardly way and then employing a man with no coaching experience. Watching Jonny's kick that sealed the World Cup still raises the hairs on the back of my neck but I think about that as a victory for Jonny.

So Scotland for me with no explanation. Italy because I love Italy (in some ways, hate it in others, that's another blog there alone), speak a little of the language, have some friends there. I'm writing this as Italy are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Horribly disappointing. When will Italy have the balls to hang on to these leads and close a match out?

Wales, I lived and worked there for 3 years.

France for endless happy summer holidays. And frites. And Paris. And Breton cider. And Chanel. And old Citroen cars. And Le Corbusier (although he started off as Swiss). And Cezanne. And Vincent Cassel. And Air. And le Tour de France. Jean Luc Goddard & Truffaut.

Ireland, I suppose for the celtic connection and Dublin was good fun.

I'm hungry now. Also watching Star Wars now that Italy have lost. That Darth Vadar outfit must have be difficult to move around. Hoping to see the storm trooper bang his head on the lift door. Except the television has just switched itself off. Clearly trying to tell me something. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment